Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Social Network

I picked up a copy of “The Social Network” simply because I wanted to see it, I had no intention of writing a review. I figured, whats the point? The Golden Globes have passed and The Facebook Movie took home best director, best picture, and best score... Everyone I’ve talked to loves it. So why bother writing a review of something that everyone and their mother already has an opinion of?

So I figured I could watch it looking for anything to trash about this movie. Then write about how there’s no way it deserves all the praise. Unfortunately that just wont be the case.

My only gripes with this film are so petty that they’re not worth the flack I may take for bringing them up. The script and acting was sharp and snappy, it was well shot, well paced, every moment of the film helped developed the characters and push the story along.

For those that haven't seen it, “The Social Network” tells the story of the creators of one of the worlds most popular websites. And all of the trials, tribulations, and law suites that went along with it. The story begins with Harvard student Mark Zuckerberg, and his best friend Eduardo Saverin spending a night developing a website and drunken blogging to quell Marks anger at the girl who broke up with him just hours before. The attention he gains from the site earns him the attention of the Winklevoss twins. the twins pitch him an idea for a social network exclusive to Harvard. Mark takes this idea to a much larger scale creating the beginnings of Facebook with Eduardo as his business partner. Their is no clear protagonist as Mark is clearly the main character, but Eduardo seams to be more like the tragic hero. But its clear that the Director wanted viewers to see the Winklevoss twins as the antagonists. Which is fine for the movie, but leaves you wondering what the people these characters represent are like in real life. But the fictional characters are fun to watch as their story is told as a flash-back from two law suits that are occurring, Mark vs. the Winklevoss’ and Mars vs. Eduardo for reasons that are reveled as the story unfolds. The film cleverly intertwines scenes from the dispositions of the law suits and the events that they are discussing.

When I first heard about this movie, I though to myself that there was no way this movie would be anything more then a waste of time. When you think about it, its Jesse Eisenberg (Zuckerberg), Justin Timberlake (Sean Parker, founder of napster and partner of Facebook), and some no name (Spider-man)... (I mean Eduardo), in a movie about Facebook... This sounds like a formula for disaster. So major cudos to writer Aaron Sorkin, and Director David Fincher. I had little to no faith in this film, but damn I was wrong. If you haven't have a chance to see “The Social Network” I would defiantly recommend it to pretty much anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment